Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding
One surgical treatment option for the condition of Obesity is the Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band (LAGB).
- This is a keyhole procedure requiring a short hospital stay.
- It involves the insertion of a silicon ring around the upper stomach.
- This ring holds up the passage of food and creates a small pouch above where it is placed, which restricts portion size.
- With a gastric band or “lap band surgery,” there is also a profound effect in reducing hunger, which is not yet fully understood.
How gastric band surgery works for weight loss:
- Several weeks after surgical insertion, the gastric band is filled with saline.
- This is accomplished by an injection through the skin on the abdomen into a chamber which connects to the band via a tube.
- The saline-filling of the band then places extra pressure on the stomach and starts the process of dietary restriction and weight loss.